Monday, August 10, 2015

Say it isn't so....Back to School is Here

My Monday Morning reflection is the realization that summer is coming to an end and I plan to wake up early to enjoy and appreciate every last moment.  The sun breaking through the morning haze as birds chirp their daily greeting are memories I want to hold on to for the cold days of winter ahead.
 Some profess to be so excited to be going back to school, but I am not a fan.  Going back to school means so much more than going back to work, it means summer is ending. I don't want to think about the cold season ahead so I avoid the back to school ads with their amazing deals on notebooks and crayons.  I don't want summer to end.




 I don't mind the fall, it is colorful and the weather is pleasant. However, after the glory of a colorful fall winter comes creeping around the corner.  Winter...lovely at Christmas but then it just needs to go away.  Subzero temperatures and eyeballs up to snow is not my idea of a fun time.
I love summer and the endless possibilities of the outdoors that it brings.  I practically live outside in the summer but when winter comes I am only outside for the seconds it takes to run to my car.  I have lived in this tundra like winter climate always however winter seems to get more difficult with each passing year.  I just want to be able to start my day with breakfast on my deck and end it grilling my dinner.  Winter robs me of that opportunity, so when the ads bombard me with "back to school" sales I am sad as I am awakened to the end to summer.  I guess that best strategy is to focus on the new school year and all the exciting new challeges it will bring.
As I come to terms with the reality of summer winding down I have started working on some of the back to school activities I plan to use with my students.  While reading Back to School, Splat by Rob Scotton to my 8 year old I began to think of activities to align it to Common Core Standards and yet make it engaging and fun for students.  The result is Back to School Literacy and Math with Splat the Cat.  Splat is so much fun and I hope by incorporating Splat into math and literacy more students will be motivated by his curious spirit to explore math and literacy.

Enjoy your Monday Morning as we wind through the last lazy days of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment