Monday, July 27, 2015

Where Did All the Butterflies Go?






Early this summer I had Monarch butterflies dining on the nectar of the sweet smelling flowers in the  group of milkweed plants in my garden.  The butterflys are gone now as the last days of summer blend into the approaching autumn chill.  The milkweed's flowers have transformed into pods that will soon burst open with the whispy seeds.
This is a good time to hold on to our memories of summer and so I am revisiting one of my summer blog posts and my inspiration for this Life Cycle of the Butterfly activity. 


Butterflies have been gracefully circling the milkweed plants in my garden for days now and providing inspiration for my newest TPT product; The Life Cycle of a Butterfly.



I have included many hands-on activities such as this engaging art project with pasta to reinforce the stages in the development of the butterfly.
 
 
Numerous reading activities, including a nonfiction close read.
 
 

Math printables

 
I spite of my neighbor's unhappy glances at my butterfly garden because it includes a few milkweed plants I have allowed the milkweed to remain.  Some may view them as weeds but they exist in my garden for the sole propose of attracting monarch butterflies.  In addition to the monarchs I have also observed humming birds drinking nectar from the milkweed's fragrant flowers, another reason to allow this plant to take residence in my garden.
 
The cycle of nature is my Everyday Motivation. Taking time to appreciate the wonders of nature unfolding in my garden gives me the patience, peace and focus I need to meet and balance all the demands of my job and family this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment