Monday, April 20, 2015

Monday Morning and Testing is Not Teaching


Testing is not Teaching


Monday Morning…it is dreary, drizzling and I am trying to work up enthusiasm for the day. It doesn’t help that today the standardized testing continues and my math lesson for 5th grade and 8th grade is not going to happen, again.    We had to test during math class last week and now we are continuing again this week.  That means we will not have had math class for a week and a half.  My students need math every day.  Stopping math for a week and a half to take a standardized ELA test and a standardized math test is not beneficial for my special education students and the struggling learners in school.  Actually, taking away major blocks of instruction time for testing doesn’t benefit any of our students .  We lose the progress they have made and then we have to reteach to get to the place we left off.  I recognize the importance of assessment in the teaching process however we will not receive these test results until the end of the school year.  How will this test data be relevant to impact how and what we teach?

 This situation is best summed up by the following quote:  "Believing we can improve schooling with more tests is like believing you can make yourself grow taller by measuring your height." Robert Schaeffer.

My routine drive through Starbucks did little to improve my mood.  However thanks to a colleague my mood soon got a boost.  I firmly believe when all else fails try chocolate so imagine my delight when a student carried in a foil covered paper plate from one of our 7th grade teachers.  I cautiously lifted the foil to find a confectionary delight, chocolate cheesecake! I have no idea what the reason was for this amazing treat but I was not about to waste time questioning the gift.   I quickly located a plastic fork in my desk drawer and took 3 bites.  That was all it took... I was newly energized and ready to make the best of the day with what I was given.

Thank goodness for chocolate!

 
                                                                      
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment